Translate

Tuesday 11 December 2012

The Whalley Reviews: Castlevania Lords of Shadow. (Video Games New Looks!)

Here it is the final of my Castlevania reviews apart of (Video Games New Looks) series, but now that we've had a brief history lesson on the Castlevania games but don't worry, I will get round to the other Castlevania games one day but for now, it's time. So let's get our whips rea....

Oh.... ummmm.... *looks around the room* The fuck is this? 


Combat Cross.

A Combat Cross?...

OK... Is it some kind of sword?...

O_O!
Oh you've got to be kidding me! That's a whip!? Holy Shit!

*clears throat*

OK, At least we can play the game with no other worries right?...

Right?....

So anyway... Let's get right done to the next of many squeals...

What?... 

 .....

It's.... a .... reboot...?

IT'S A FUCKING REBOOT!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

..............................................................................................................

OK... OK, *takes a deep breath* I can't believe they've done this. Not that rebooting your series isn't a good idea at times, but... WHY CASTLEVANIA!?!? I mean sure, we've a lot of weird and bad games with the series but why reboot it? Did you need to be rebooted? OK could somebody tell me, please! TELL ME!!!! *tries to calm down* Right... Moving on! Let's get down and review...

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows.

Right to start off the game looks and feels promising, the graphics are brilliant, both sound and music are really good and the game-play is really, really appealing. You really feel like your in control with your character and his.... whip. It also in some way makes you feel like your playing Super Castlevania 4! So that's saying something! Now we meet our main character, thankfully he is a Belmont.
Gabriel Belmont
voiced by
Robert Carlyle.

I've got to say as well, religion never looked more badass! he's been sent on a mission by the Brotherhood of Light to the Lake of Oblivion. (cor! what a mouth full!) Where his deceased wife, Marie, tells him that the spirits who founded the Brotherhood has the power of the Lords of Shadow will save the world. As he travels a fellow member of the Brotherhood Zobek, who is surprisingly voiced by Sir Patrick Stewart. Anyway Zobek helps Gabriel on his quest in a hope to not only bring his wife back, but to end the madness once and for all. Now before I continue I will say something first, I haven't played this game all the way through mainly because from what I've been told, it's a very long game and therefore it'll take a long time for me to talk about it. So I'm going to be cheating a little bit and also...

Spoiler Warning!

When you see that, you can 1)stay and read, 2) go and read another review or one of mine or 3) put a pot on your head until the nasty man stops talking... wait.... You can't hear me.... yet..... Just ignore the third and carry on reading if you dare. You have been warned.

Right he's been told to go and defeat the Lords of Shadow, and get a mask called the Gold Mask. -_-' Very original... Sadly the mask is in three pieces (or two.. not sure) so he must beat three Lords of Shadow. I've maybe got that wrong and all.

HA!

Now then, the game is as I've said before very fluent and for the second time in a Castlevania game I really do feel in control of my character's jump, whip and movement. I was shocked by the artwork for the game, and the attention to detail in brilliant, and really gives you the feel that your in the dark ages.




The overall world is huge! I really feel like I'm on a journey to destroy the evils of the world, and again the details in the game is just fantastic. 







Now I know I've kind of dissed Gabriel's whip but the fight in this game are very good, but at times I found myself being a little annoyed by the button pushing system and nearly all the fights have this so... Yeah I kept shouting at the screen a few times, but thankfully not that much.





The boss battles are very good, and when they are tough, they ARE tough to beat. I really did feel challenged and frustrated when I failed, but you don't feel frustrated enough to make you stop playing.





It's also a platforming game with many puzzles to solve in it, I feel that the developers where paying tribute the original games, I will say this for the game for all the good things for it, there are the bad. Like the puzzle, now I know the puzzles in the game ain't all that difficult, but they're not all that challenging or difficult. I never felt challenged with the puzzles at all. At times too because the control is very fluent, it at times I felt I was playing it on easy. But so, for from that I haven't found anything els....

     O_O!

Your... kidding......right?.....

They've ripped of....

Shadow of the Colossus!!!

......................................................

Well.....

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow....

F*** you!!!!!!!!

...............................................

*Sighs*

Well... I will say in it's defense... after that game came out, a lot of other games where using the same idea. So in true I really can't be mad at this Castlevania game, but they could of done better by making it like Gabriel was on a platform or something and nearer it's head. But when fighting the giant it not only felt it, but the game-play is the SAME as Shadow of the Colossus!!!! *sighs frustrated* Anyway...

Overall the game isn't terrible and is a very good addiction to the Castlevania series, I'm a little confused as to why it's a reboot. But the game makes up for it with, good graphics, game-play, fluent control, great story as far as I've got and the music and artwork is excessive. Also the voice casting is brilliant with Sir Patrick Stewart, Robert Carlyle and Jason Isaacs!

What a cast eh?!

So that's my review of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and I hope you've enjoyed it. Next week is my final addition to Video Games New Looks series, and this time... it's personal!!!

Join me next week as we take a look at...

Spyro The Dragon series.

The Whalley.    

1 comment: