Translate

Sunday 16 December 2012

The Whalley Reviews: Hellsing Ultimate. Part One

Welcome to my review and personal tribute to a series which has shocked me, entertained me and also... stolen my heart. So, lets not waist anymore time and get down to review and tribute...

Hellsing Ultimate.
"The Bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame."
Alucard.

Right before I begin, I must address something... This anime is really, really gory, violent and very, very sick! And also a bit of dark humor. So if you want to read this, see the pictures or watch the video clips I wish you luck, but... if your do not like those sort of things... well....
You have been warned!

OK how do I put this.... THIS ANIME IS FUCKING AWESOME!!! I have never seen such a dark, sick and deep anime story in ages!!! My god! Right the plot is very simple, A vampire vs Nazi. THAT'S IT! I'm not joking that is really what the main plot is!! BEST PLOT EVER!!!! Now to the characters! But before I do I'm going to go backwards with them because I think the best ones, should be saved for last...

So let's start of with the main villains of the series... The Millennium (Nazi) members.

Let's start with a character that is very curious indeed, The Captain. This guy is a very interesting character because, one he doesn't talk... At all, and two he's a werewolf. That's it! That's all we know about him, so far. I'm pretty surprised that a character who says nothing in the whole anime/manga and is very popular character. Also like two other characters in the series, he is Millennium's trump card. A werewolf is a Nazi's trump card... huh... nice tough.

 Next up is, First Lieutenant Tubalcain Alhamba, also know as 'The Dandy Man'. This guy is sadly only around for one episode in the Ultimate series, but like a lot of characters in the series leaves a very lasting impression. This guy's only weapon are razor-sharp cards, so... yeah never play a game of card game or you'll activate his trap card! HAHA!... Yeah that was silly. He very cool but arrogant, often understanding others powers and overestimating his own.
Now with have one of the Valentine brothers, Luke Valentine. This guy the more calmer and the smarter one of the brothers, Luke also fancies himself as Alucard's demise believing that because of his relatively advanced powers that he was destined to surpass Alucard in every way. He is in fact a very powerful foe with quick reflexes, speed and shape-shifting into other people. He is also very skilled with a dagger blade in combat and is a sharp shooter with his Walther PPK.

Now on to Jan Valentine, and I'm not going to lie... THIS GUY IS KICK ASS AND STEALS THE SHOW! Sadly it's only one episode, but hey... He does it with style. Jan is vulgular, rude and one of the most foul-mouthed characters in the show, constantly spewing profanity at others and making volatile comments about them. He is also perhaps the most obnoxious, given the fact that he's often loud when he speaks and laughs quite often, even in the face of defeat or death. Unlike his brother, Jan appears to not truly be pleased unless he is enjoying himself by causing chaos and destruction. 

Next up, First Lieutenant Zorin Blitz. A tall, massively muscled female vampire, who is part of Millennium's elite Werewolf force. She is the commander of one of Millennium's zeppelin forces, and a formidable fighter, wielding a giant scythe with enough force to cut a man in half. On one side of her body, she is covered with tattoos, which include some designs but are mostly letters; when exercising her power of illusion, they flow from her body onto the walls and ground around her, extending her influence over the area. Also... WHAT THE FUCK UP WITH ONE OF HER EYES!? Jeez!! She also has it out for one the main characters because.... I don't know better figure I guess.

Also on Millennium's elite Werewolf force is First Lieutenant Rip Van Winkle. This girl is... just odd. She uses special bullets from a long-barreled flintlock musket which can track targets of their own accord, and are seemingly armor-piercing. Her "magic bullets" (Yes magic even plays in this anime) are even able to change their trajectories in mid-flight and repeatedly hit a target before disintegrating. Her personalty is that of a merciless and ruthless child, and one you wouldn't want to invite to your birthday party kids.

 Now here a very creative and creepy character, meet Warrant Officer Schrödinger. As you can see he is a cat-boy (Werewolf would be the military unit he serves in), and was created by the character Doc. He has the form of a young boy, with cat ears and a perpetual smirk, dressing in a Hitler Youth uniform. Usually found sitting underneath the Major's seat like a pet, he acts as an envoy for Millennium. Schrodinger is able to appear and reappear and has the ability to regenerate himself if he is somehow killed. He has a fun and childish manner, taking only his destined role in all seriousness. And by god what a destiny he HAS! O_O!

Now we meet Millennium's top scientist, The Doctor. Not Doctor Who thank god! He is a learned man of multiple science fields, his genius resulted in the creation of many of their projects. Perhaps unstable, certainly eccentric, but undeniably brilliant, it was his research that led to the birth of a Nazi vampire army out of 1,000 volunteers in the 'Letztes Battalion'. Doc usually appeared dressed in a perpetually bloodstained white lab coat, an unusual shirt which reveals his lower torso, and glasses with an assortment of adjustable, multilensed spectacles. And believe me I thought his glasses where fucked up! Also he has some funny moments with Schrödinger in the series, look out for them.

And now finally the leader of Millennium, and quite possibly one of the most the most fucked up Nazi character ever!!! Please give a warm welcome to...

The Major.

Oh my god, what a fucked up guy this is! AND HE'S HUMAN!!.... Well sort of. (I won't spoil it for you guys.)  A former SS officer, once in charge of the Nazi experiments with vampires, until the operation was attacked by a young Walter (butler to Hellsing) and Alucard (main anti-hero) in 1944. He led the Letztes Bataillon (Last Battalion in case I've mentioned it and no one got it) in his attempts to wreak unending war. The Major's psychopathic demeanor, ruthlessly seeking a venue for his own maniacal desire for war and a glorious death, was often masked behind a veneer of smiling complacence, behind which he serenely watched as his own grand design continued in its march to oblivion. 

This character scares me, more then the main character does. This guy just wants to bring death and an unending war to the world. I could talk about him for ages because... my god! I am fucking terrified of this character! God help us if their is a man or woman like him out there... O_O! We'd be fucked!

So that's the first part of my review and personal tribute to Hellsing Ultimate. But don't think this is over, oh no! We are far for over!! Join me next time when we take a look at the heroes (or anti-heroes) of this series.

"My friends, it has often been said that I like war. My friends, I like war... No, friends, I love war! I love holocausts. I love blitzkriegs. I love defensive lines. I love sieges, charges, I love mop-up operations, and retreats."
The Major.
(The speech/monologue he has is too long! Full speech below)

The Whalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment